Saturday, May 2, 2009

Influenza A(H1N1) - No risk from eating cooked pork

It is good to know that there is no risk from eating cooked pork. According to foreign experts, the virus cannot be transmitted by eating pork despite its original name of "swine flu", believed to be a new strain which combines bird, swine and the common human influenza. So, Mr Porky is not to be blamed.

The earlier name of "swine flu" was given because it was believed to have originated from pig farms in Mexico though the exact origin of the virus is still unknown.

Malaysia will now refer to the swine flu as influenza A(H1N1) in line with a move by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The WHO’s phase five alert status signalled widespread person-to-person transmission and that a pandemic was imminent.

Malaysia is still clear from the infection todate. We have been urged to continue to be on high alert and to take the necessary precautions.

International travellers arriving at our airports will have to go through mass thermal scanners. Two have been installed at KL International Airport and one at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).

10 comments:

  1. I just heard from the news that it appears that the virus is not that harmful/serious! Oh boy! The media sure succeeded in scaring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news, Ai Shiang. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out that the A(H1N1) flu virus was isolated and identified using software developed by my friend Dewkid! He's pretty proud of himself right now. Not bad for someone whose greatest high school exploit was learning to play the Pac Man theme on his clarinet! (smile on)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MM, wow! That is so awesome and Dewkid has every right to be (pretty proud of himself). He must be on Cloud 9. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Influenza A H1N1..

    Swine flu is a stew-pig name

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Mr Porky and his species get the blame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to clarify a few things:

    1) I'm proud of our company for its role in being able to identify this strain of virus. My role was fairly minimal.
    2) I'm not sure I would rank anything I did on the clarinet as one of my "greatest high school" exploits.
    3) I have no idea what my "greatest high school" exploit would be.

    Why am I commenting on a month-and-a-half old blog entry that no one will likely even notice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dewkid, it's nowhere near a month-and-a-half old! LOL! And secondly, Wow! you are here on my blog. I mean WOW!!

    Hey, everybody, this is the gentleman who had a part in identifying the Influenza A (H1N1) strain of virus, and he's here on my blog. How cool is that!

    Re high school exploits. I have no doubt you must have had a number of awesome exploits.

    Thank you for coming by and leaving your wisdom here. I appreciate it very much. Hope you will continue to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a software developer at the company that developed the system for identifying novel threat organisms, including the Swine Flu. I can't take credit for any of the hard work that went into the science of it all: I am just one of several that work on the software tool that views the data. :-)

    You are right about the blog being less than a month-and-a-half old... not sure how I figured THAT out! I just know that commenting on old blog entries have a tendency to be missed by everyone but the blog owner, so what's the point. Anyway, thanks for acknowledging my comment, and I will try to visit your blog more often. Any friend of Moody's is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dewkid, you are being modest. It is a great achievement, one that will stand well in a resume. No?

    Ah! Never under-estimate the power of old posts for they can turn up in a Google search and your achievement will be revealed..

    Salute!

    ReplyDelete