Sunday, August 17, 2008

Have you been to a Two-Dollar Shop?

Whenever I get the chance, I like to visit those Dollar stores. Over here they are not called dollar stores but rather Two-dollar shops because all their items are priced below two ringgit, to be exact RM1.99. Somehow, Malaysians are still stuck with Dollar even though our currency is now the Ringgit. With the one-cent denomination no longer legal tender and the introduction of the round-up or round-down to the nearest five sen, I wonder why do these stores still bother with the .99sen price-tag. Research says 1.99 is more attractive than 2.00. Interesting human psyche.

Have you been to any of these stores? You can sometimes pick up some useful items here, and for just RM1.99. A friend who usually arranges kids parties for her nieces and nephews loves to shop at these stores. She can get great games prizes here. But for variety, she shops online for promotional items though she has to order them at least a month ahead of the party in order to get them in time.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:49 AM

    I did in Australia in my student days. Over here, I have been to one or two but don't normally shop there. But I do believe in getting good buys in these shops so it's worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visit the place mainly for kicks - to see the variety of things that are available for under two ringgit though they do carry items priced higher. But you are right, one can get good buys for that price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Japan we have hyaku-en shops (100 yen). The new ones offer things that may go to 300 yen or more. I like them as I can get some items very inexpensively and if I spend too much time and buy unnecessary items it isn't a big problem because the total is still small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One can literally shop till one drops?! :p

    ReplyDelete