Tuesday, June 3, 2008

David Cook - American Idol, Season 7

Last Month saw the grand finale of the last season (Season 7) of the American Idol. Did you catch it? Are you a fan?

When American Idol first started, it was a high-profile show and everyone was following it and talking about it. But after a few seasons, the interest level sort of petered off. I gave up after two seasons and watched whenever it happened to be on but I sure am glad to have caught the last season, albeit just the last remaining rounds. And the contestant I rooted for became the American Idol. Yay! David Cook rocks!!

As I missed the earlier rounds, naturally I was interested to see how he did, so I went through almost all the videos on YouTube last night and picked out some of his better performances and loaded them here. IMO, he deserves the win. He won by a margin of 12 million votes! He is more versatile, more daring and creative and simply has what it take to be an Idol.

I love his version of Billy Jean - so radically different from MJ's. Caught me off-guard that this number could be done so differently and yet come up so beautiful, soothing even. He did a great job too on Hello, Eleanor Rigby, Day Tripper, Free's All Right Now. He could take on anything and everything, and give it a new rock twist, a new life. Imagine DC singing Andrew Lloyd Webber's Music of the Night from Phantom of the Opera. Awesome rendition. Serene and romantic.

Certain numbers sound better in the studio, others better on stage. I wonder if they'd be compiling the whole lot into an album.

Give the list below a listen and see if you agree that David Cook deserves the win. Enjoy!

David Cook - American Idol Season 7 Audition (Livin' On A Prayer)


Day Tripper


Eleanor Rigby - Performance


Eleanor Rigby - Studio Version


Dolly Parton's "Little Sparrow"


Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby"


Hello


Music of the Night - Phantom of the Opera


Billie Jean


Free's "All Right Now"

2 comments:

  1. They are all great, but my fave has to be Eleanor Rigby!! Way to go, DC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But ya know? Billie Jean is so powerful because it also reminds me of Roxanne - the version sung in Moulin Rouge.. the Tango!

    ReplyDelete