Wednesday, November 14, 2007

One-sen coins to be demonetised

Come April 1 of next year, the one sen coin will no longer be legal tender. This applies to over-the-counter payments, payments by cheque, credit card, charge card and debit card. It does not apply to online transactions. This move would save the government RM18million which is what it costs yearly to mint these coins. Consumers will be happy not having to dig into their coin-purses for that one sen to pay for a burger or for whatever.

This is..

3 comments:

  1. I have a huge collection of 1 sen coins back in the apartment in PJ! I think I will save them all, and bury them somewhere in the garden, in the new house next time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:45 PM

    It is great they finally do it.

    I have lots of coins too from trips to Msia. Seriously have no idea what I should do with them. Every trip we decide to bring them with us and just give them away, but never do it. Then come back bringing some more.

    Should I bury them too in the garden? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB, and perhaps it will change into a pot of gold?! Maybe I should do the same to the collection I too have. lol

    Andie, yes, rather troublesome, these one sen coins. Does Indonesia have this denomination?

    Yeah, bury them or better still use them to toss in the fountain. Don't forget to make a wish.

    ReplyDelete