Monday, September 3, 2007

Petaling Street, KL Chinatown



It's been many years since my last visit to Chinatown, so a few of us decided to make a trip there. We parked along Jalan Sultan, just beside the Furama Hotel and walked to Petaling Street.

Along the way, we discovered two very interesting shops. They have things Chinese - paintings and antiques. There are lots of Chinese folklore figurines - big and small, vases, etc. One thing caught my eye - a Buddha's head. I've always wanted one of these but am worried that I might place it in a wrong place thus could be inadvertently showing disrespect. I guess I better live with not having one.

A visit to Chinatown is not complete if you don't go down the entire Petaling Street. This part of Chinatown is closed to auto-traffic from evening onwards. You can bargain on anything from bags to clothes, the famous fake watches, fake CDs, DVDs, fruits, pickles, phones, fashion accessories, toys, and lots more. If you love roast duck, it is believed that the best roast duck in KL is found here sold from a stall.

Anyone who has been to Petaling Street or Chinatown would have to put up with noise, traffic (human and auto type), dust and dirt. Thank goodness for skin care products.

I wish I had my camera with me though. Maybe next time.

Picture source: Wikipedia

1 comment: