Thursday, January 4, 2007

Goal-setting

My ex-colleague used to preach about goal-setting and the importance of doing it if one wishes to achieve more. I came across this list in the papers the other day which was penned by a 9-year-old. It fascinated me. It is a simple list of short-term goals but his goals are specific, one of the criteria of goal-setting. Something perhaps we, adults, could emulate.

I reproduce below the young man's list:

THINGS I WANT TO ACHIEVE IN 2007
--------------------------------
1. Become the best student in Year 4.
2. Improve my swimming skills.
3. Get my black belt in taekwon-do.
4. Save enough money for a plane ride.
5. Learn more about the earth.

2 comments:

  1. i saw this in the papers the other day & i did make a mental note that i know very few 9yr-olds (including i, when i was that age!!) who has diligently focussed on the short-term goals. i congratulate his parents for a job well-done & i hope that when he is older, he will include in his new list, the desire to love his neighbour as himself, amongst other noble ambitions.

    then only, perhaps, the list would be closer to being "complete".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doc, welcome to my humble blog and thank you for sharing your noble thoughts. I hope so too.

    ReplyDelete