Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Morning Pleasure

Good mornng!

Today, I had one of the most pleasurable morning drives to work.

Sporting listeners called in giving their views on whether
they'd still like to be gainfully employed even at the age
of 85 or 90.

This was prompted by a report that medical advancement may be
heading towards enabling us to live longer and that world economies
might suffer if there is a shrinkage in the workforce.

There was a good balance of for and against and arguments
brought forth provided some chuckles.

Well, what do you think? Can you see yourself still working
beyond the current retirement age?


To me, mornings without music are no mornings at all.
Two songs heard are worth mentioning. One is "Better Man" by
Robbie Williams. The next time you hear it, pay attention to
the lyrics - poignant and beautiful at the same time.
Better still, let me paste the lyrics here, end of page.














The other is "Save the Best for Last" by Vanessa Williams.
Did you know that when she was born her mom introduced her as
"Here comes Miss America!"? Well, what do you know! It turned out
Miss Williams was a winner in the Miss America pageant but was
forced to renounce her title for posing in the Penthouse magazine.













Caught a couple of football snippets too:

Ronaldo of Brazil might be quitting Real Madrid end of season
citing that fans are not loving him enough. That goes to show
love does make the world go round - more so for celebs?

Anton Ferdinand, defender in West Ham United, might be playing
for Barcelona. Anton is Rio Ferdinand's brother and cousin of
Les Ferdinand.


And here's a little bit about Tom Cruise. He's considering taking
legal action against a magazine for stating that he has split up
with his current squeeze, Katie Holmes.


Bird flu in Malaysia, no human victim so far.... and here's where
my morning ride ends. Have a wonderful day ahead, y'all.

And oh, here's

BETTER MAN
Send someone to love me
I need to rest in arms
Keep me safe from harm
In pouring rain

Give me endless summer
Lord I fear the cold
Feel I’m getting old
Before my time

As my soul heals the shame
I will grow through this pain
Lord I’m doing all I can
To be a better man

Go easy on my conscience
’cause it’s not my fault
I know I’ve been taught
To take the blame

Rest assured my angels
Will catch my tears
Walk me out of here
I’m in pain

As my soul heals the shame
I will grow through this pain
Lord I’m doing all I can
To be a better man

Once you’ve found that lover
You’re homeward bound
Love is all around
Love is all around

I know some have fallen
On stony ground
But love is all around

Send someone to love me
I need to rest in arms
Keep me safe from harm
In pouring rain

Give me endless summer
Lord I fear the cold
Feel I’m getting old
Before my time

As my soul heals the shame
I will grow through this pain
Lord I’m doin’ all I can
To be a better man

14 comments:

  1. hmmm... I would like to retire yesterday.. and I did

    haha

    but seriously, my uncle who just turn 70 cannot find a single job.. even for pumping petrol..

    that's the trend, no one wants to emply elderly..

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, no one wants to emply middle age workers too.. Got a few friend who was retrenched after 45 and zap.. they remain unemployed for the next few years.

    Who wants to emply a middle managers when new grads jumping around, asking for only half of their salary and doing double the work and energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better man, always a great karaoke song to sing. Beautiful. Robbie. A musical genious with an attitude. Loved by all genders, pure, mixed or confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my fav karaoke song - better man

    ReplyDelete
  5. People who are productive and active in later years live happier, longer lives, or so I've read. Certainly helps one's self esteem to be working at something one likes doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, it is sad indeed about this trend. Employers just don't see the expertise these folks bring but can't argue with the new grads lower salary and their boundless energy though.

    Agus, yes, beautiful Robbie - talented, sensual, charming though confused and insecure these days. I suppose 'Better Man' describes him best today.

    Hi Jellyfish, yeah, a great number for karaoke. Your favourite, eh? A few others of his are nice to sing too.

    Pandabonium, People who are productive and active in later years live happier, longer lives - a lot of wisdom here. Can it also be said that if one enjoys the work then it's not work at all?

    Thank you, all, for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who's over 45 and is retrenched today or tomolo is a dead duck unless they are at the cutting edge of their field with the experience to match. Sadly these people are a rarity otherwise they would not be retrenched in d first place. It's a disposable world, people included.

    *sigh* I'd better go n listen to these 2 nice selections ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. FH2o, disposable world, rat race, survival of the fittest - call it what you will but it's real alright.

    Yep, they're nice and easy to sing too so learn them up for your next karaoke outing before someone puts in 'My Way' for you. hahahah..........

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not real; an illusion we are led to believe. I refuse to participate.

    These 2 songs are quite 'old' oledi liaow, so no need to learn lah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. U will make a good cnn reporter:P

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new RW album was really fantastic. Save the best for last must be one of the few first english song that I favour. Ronaldo are getting older, and he's a lazy striker. Yeah, I was shock about the bird flu in Gombak -- I am 20 minutes drive away from the deadly flu! Nah, to be honest I'll still sleep well tonight lol

    I'll find you someone. But find me someone first, hehe...Now you seem to tell us more about yourself. Good! :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. FH2o, meaning that you already know the two songs by heart? Wow! They're not that old, probably five years back.

    Hi Winn.

    Hello Low, bird flu - yes, not a good sign though there's no human victim thus far. Let's hope everything will be back to normal again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "morning pleasure" has a nice meaning for me that has nothing to do with driving to work - or even getting out of bed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pandabonium, am I thinking what you're thinking?! I'm blushing! Well, no use telling K becoz I'm sure she too enjoys a morning snuggle. haha.......

    ReplyDelete